Thursday, April 17, 2008

Gossip Girl

While I was watching television this evening I happened to see a preview for the new season of Gossip Girl. Gossip Girl is a new show on the CW network and it is based on a series of books for teens and young adults. The premise is simple really it takes place in New York City at an elite private school and there is alot of sex ,drinking and really immoral behavior. I have not read any of the Gossip Girl books but I am really disgusted that this is what young girls are reading about and now seeing it on television.
Gossip Girl has become a huge hit not only because of the content and the beautiful actors but also because of the fashion. I do agree the girls are very fashion forward and I am quite jealous of some of the clothing items I have seen on there but other than that I think the show is sending the wrong message to young girls. It is showing them that it's ok to sleep with a guy if you are drunk or even if you just feel like because he's hot. I think the most controversial show I watched when I was younger was Dawson's Creek and that wasn't even anywhere close to this show. The new promotional ads are all about sex and one character even goes to confession to get a "birthday wish" granted. We really need better shows and more positive messages for our girls because this just doesn't work for me.

No comments: