Friday, March 7, 2008

Moment of Truth

I have been thinking about this for awhile now. I don't know if you have heard of the new Fox reality show Moment of Truth but it is absolutely horrible. I have had the displeasure of catching a few episodes. I had the television on while I was typing away on my laptop doing my Media Writing homework(Hi Dr.Mac!).
Anyways, the premise of the show is the contestants are asked a series of personal questions that they have previously answered while hooked up to a polygraph machine. The question is asked by the host and then the contestant answers and then a voice comes on and says whether their answer was True or False based on previous results( confusing I know!). The contestant's family is sitting nearby and if they do not want to hear the answer to the question they can press a button to stop the question.
The more questions that are answered True the more money the contestant can win and the more money means harder and more personal questions.
I explain this all to you to say this: What has our society come to when for entertainment we watch someone humiliate themselves and their families all for the sake of entertainment and money?
I find the show repulsing, cheap , vulgar and I can't believe Fox would even think of airing such a monstrosity. One contestant , I believe she was on last week, nearly ruined her two-year marriage by truthfully answering some questions that well, you just have see to believe. She is in the new issue of People Magazine ( it's Friday I got mine today as usual) stating her case. It's the usual blame it one the producers , I didn't know this was what it would be like and of course she wanted to be on televsion and win some money. UGGGHHH!!!! What happened to working? Get a job if you want money!
I am linking a clip of the show with this said contestant , it is kind of long but once you see it you will see why I have gone on this long about it. I urge you to NOT WATCH THE SHOW ! and I will do the same.

As you watch listen for the boos of the audience when the contestant's sister pushes the button to stop the question. I also find it very disturbing when the audience cheers when a contestant gets an answer " correct."

No comments: