Monday, February 11, 2008

The Grammy Awards

The Grammy Awards were last night and I have to say I wasn't very wowed by them. It seemed the performances were too long and not very good. The "duet" with Alicia Keys and the late Frank Sinatra was cheesy and overdone. Her voice didn't match with his and it was just not a good idea. I was able to guess nearly every winner based on who was on the radio and in the news the most. It seems that the Grammy's have become a popularity contest and not the prestigious ceremony it once was. I feel like popularity and commercial success are awarded more than actual talent. Although, I was thrilled that Vince Gill won for best country album. He is one of my absolute favorites and I have had the honor of meeting him and he is so nice and genuine and I think one of the most talented musicians around.
How about troubled singer Amy Winehouse? Winehouse was approved for a Visa to come to the U.S for the show but it was later taken away. She beat out country fave and Nashville native , Taylor Swift, for Best New Artist. Winehouse performed via satellite from London. When they showed her she looked so stunned that I wondered if she was so high she couldn't function or if that was a genuine reaction. She has such tremendous talent and her album is one of my favorites . I hope that she can get her life together and stop taking drugs and drinking because I would love to hear more music from her in the future.
Kanye West performed his hit Stronger and then a very moving tribute to his late mother Donda West who died suddenly just a few months ago.
Now , for some winners:
Record of the year: Rehab by Amy Winehouse
Album of the year: River:The Joni Letters by Herbie Hancock
Song of the year: Rehab by Amy Winehouse
Best New Artist: Amy Winehouse
Best Female Pop Vocal Performance: Rehab by Amy Winehouse
Best Male Pop Vocal Performance : What Goes Around..Comes Around by Justin Timberlake
Best Pop Performance By a Duo or Group with Vocals: Makes Me Wonder by Maroon 5
For a complete list of winners and Grammy history visit www.grammy.com
Also, check out this video of Vince Gill taking a jab at Kanye West . It was my favorite moment from The Grammy's !

No comments: